Wi-Fi Takes Off

(Post Transferred from my formerly stand-alone blog, Tiffany Takes On.)

American Airlines* recently announced that it would partner with AirCell to provide in-flight Wi-Fi to passengers on transcontinental flights beginning in 2008.

To be honest, I think that this is a move that’s been a long time in the coming and that will thrill passengers on all of the selected 767 flights. Quite frankly, however, I am surprised with the testing of in-flight Wi-Fi before a solution has been found or introduced for in-flight cellular capabilities.

You’ll notice that most planes no longer have any kind of phone on board. Simply put, Verizon was charging way to much money per minute to make the use of these devices practical or affordable.

It’s surprising to me that a deal would be reached to provide in-flight Wi-Fi when in-flight cellular service would seem to be almost as much in demand – if not even more desirable – and just as necessary to conduct business and personal matters while in transit.

Having said that, I am very excited to see the coming of in-flight Wi-Fi. I have often been on a plane and wished that I could sync up my email, search Google, or find driving directions to use at my final destination. I think this is a great move by American Airlines that will keep the company at the forefront of innovation.

Read more: American Airlines' In-Flight Wi-Fi to Debut in 2008

Take Care,

Tiffany

*Yes, I work for American Airlines as an HR Analyst. No, I am not writing this post because I work for American Airlines; I am writing this post because I believe it is newsworthy and I have an opinion to offer. Yes, American Airlines is the best carrier around and you should choose it to fulfill all of your travel and cargo needs. No, I didn't write this post simply to shamelessly plug my own Associated Content article on the same topic, but you should definitely go read it anyways!
(No Comments Transferred; original posting date 11/12/07, 12:00 AM.)

2 comments

  1. ill give u 400 dollars for 2 buddy passes to germany via american airlines, please email me at "Volken_Metzger@gmail.com" if you interested

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry - no can do. We aren't able to hand out (and certainly not sell) buddy passes, only add people for 12 month periods of time to use from an alloted number of slots. Best wishes getting to Germany!

    ReplyDelete