Thursday Thirteen #5

Hi, everyone!

It's been a heck of a week...I've had some accomplishments, and some pure frustrations. I'm trying to minimalize the frustrations, no matter how readily they're trying to take over my life, so in order to give myself a mental vacation, this week's Thursday Thirteen is about places where I actually want to go on vacation - plus the times of year I'd go!

THIRTEEN PLACES FOR TIFFANY TO TRAVEL

1. Daytona Beach, Florida, in February 2008 - just in time for the 50th running of the Daytona 500. Man, I'd give my right arm to go. Unfortunately, that's about what it would cost! :-(

2. Cape Cod, Massachusetts, in the spring - I have heard that Cape Cod is just the most beautiful place in the spring - I'd love to find out.

3. New Hampshire/Vermont, in the fall - this is the setting for my WIP The Mommy Letters and I still haven't identified the actual town I want to model mine after...for now, it's just a "small New England town."

4. Boise, ID, in the fall - I have never been, but this is where my husband went to college - I'd love to be able to take him there one fall for a football game.

5. England/Scotland, in the spring, with my mother - I know, *gasp*, wanting to take a trip with my mom. What's wrong with me? But my mom shares my interest in learning more about our family history, much of which lies in England, and so it would be a neat trip to take to learn more.

6. Beirut, Lebanon, whenever they stop shooting for longer than 5 minutes - Ok, this is a weird one, I know, but I'm 50% Lebanese, but yet know hardly anything about this portion of my heritage. In tracing my dad's family, it seems all info from before his parents immigrated at the turn of the 20th century simply doesn't exist.

7. Detroit, Michigan, in the spring - This is a primary setting for flashbacks for my WIP DNA, but yet Michigan remains one of 9 states to which I have never been. Need to go!

8. Lake Lure, North Carolina, in June - My "Texas parents" up and moved to North Carolina last fall and I miss them terribly. They're actually the parents of a former boyfriend of mine, but he's generously shared them with me. June was Ginny's (Texas Mom) favorite time of year to visit her property in NC before their home was built there, and so that's when I would like to visit as well.

9. Anchorage, AK, in the summer - Alaska is another of the 9 states to which I have never traveled, and now that I have (AF) friends living in that area, I have a reason to visit! They know I hate winter, though, so the visit will have to wait until summer. Even more special is that Chris spent summers in Alaska growing up, so it would be somewhat of a homecoming for him, as well!

10. Sturgis, SD, during Bike Week - Ok, I've attended Bike Week in the past in Daytona, but I've heard that it's NOTHING like what goes on in Sturgis...and that's something I need to see for myself! Plus, SD is another of my missing 9 states, and I could also hit ND, WY, and MT quite easily from there, taking another 3 off my list o' 9!

11. Greece, in the spring - I've been obsessed with taking a cruise through the Mediterranean for years, now. I've loved Greek mythology and history all of my life, and to go there in person would just be awesome!

12. Oberammergau, Germany, in 2010 - I really wanted to go see the Passion Plays in 2000 (since they are held only every 10 years) but was simply not able to financially...it would be so special to be able to re-visit Germany and introduce it to my husband while attending this once-in-a-lifetime event.

13. Hawaii, anytime, forever - If you know me at all, you had to know that I was going to end with a beach - in fact, you're probably surprised that I didn't include more beach locations, aren't ya? If I could make enough money to go plant myself on a beach and never move again, I'd be the happiest girl alive. Plus, HI is another state on my remaining 9 to-visit list! I love Texas, but boy do I miss the beach...and no, the Gulf is certainly not the same.


So...if you're counting, if I got to take the trips on this list, I'd go to 13 different states and 5 foreign countries, plus reduce my list of states not visited to only 2 - which would be great, since it's my goal to hit all 50 states before age 30 and I'm down to less than 3 years left! (Remaining states are Wisconsin and Oregon.)

Have a great Thursday!

If you can, please spare a prayer for my Dad, who broke a hip yesterday. I'm still awaiting word from my mom on when his surgery will be for a replacement, and then the current thought-in-progress is having him come to Texas directly after the hospital plus possibly a few weeks at Allied for rehab, to finish his recovery in my house, since any in-home assistance is just impossible in mom's home. He was supposed to come down on Saturday - argh! So perhaps we can get him down here in early December or even early January instead. Anyhow, keep him in your prayers, please.

Tiffany

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



15 comments

  1. I'm sorry about your dad. I hope he heals quickly.

    Way to spin your frustrated week into something better.

    I was born in Boise when my dad was going to college. When he (my dad) we teaching at TWU in Denton we lived (sort of) by Forth Worth.

    That was a bit of a tangent comment, but happy Thursday Thirteen anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to visit Cape Cod. Hope your dad is on the mend soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hawaii was such a beautiful place to visit! I'd go again, who cares if the flight is really long LOL!

    Also, Scotland & England were fun; I felt...at home in Scotland, if that makes sense.

    I'm from MA, so I've been to Cape Cod many times during all the seasons. It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saying a prayer that your dad gets good care with his hip and heals quickly! You have some great travel goals. Enjoy...
    http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/2007/11/14/thursday-thirteen-9-libraries/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to go to England/Scotland too, but for me it would be with my Dad, because he's so proud of that part of his heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not much of a traveler, but good luck with your ambitions! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been to Michigan and England, but I really want to go back to Cancunf for a vacation. It's gonna have to wait another year...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alaska in the summer is amazing. For high school graduation, my parents took me on a train ride from Fairbanks to Anchorage, through Denali Park. Beware the mosquitos, though--they're as big as hawks. When you finally make it to Oregon, please please please see anywhere other than Portland. Don't judge us by that city (and as far as cities go, Portland is attractive. But it's a CITY).

    Places I'd like to see before I die? The Grand Canyon, Hawaii. I'd Luuuve to go see Australia again, only this time with MY agenda not Mom's (we went when I was 14). Or Japan...that'd be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Washington, DC, Santa Fe, New England in the fall for the colors, and Ireland - those are on my list of travel spots. I can't believe you haven't been to Oregon - that blew me away - don't know why. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So number 11!

    The Pink Flamingo
    http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Lake Lure. I haven't been there in years. And my husband's family is English so I love going there...or at least I will if it ever changes so it's not two pounds to the dollar!

    The trip to Lebanon sounds like a "must."

    You don't have your comments enabled for any but blogger blogs to link :(


    I've given you our address, but you'll have to scroll past all the politics to get to the nonpolitical gorgeous photos by an internet acquaintance.


    http://bucknakedpolitics.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some of your choices I fully understand...Detroit and Boise are questionable but you have a good reason. Thanks for stopping by my T13, and hope you'll check out my Feast today, your's was incredible to read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun vacation spots.

    I hope your dad recovers fast and heals up completely. Best to him and you.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to travel, too. I'd like to go to Cape Cod some day.

    I lived in Scotland for a couple of years. It was amazing.

    I sure hope your dad is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been to Hawaii, Daytona and Detroit. And I grew up in England so maybe that doesn't count. But I'd love to visit those other paces you mention.

    Nicholas

    http://agentlemansdomain.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete