Beware "The Seeker"

I don't intend to make reviewing movies a habit on this blog, but I just want to share my thoughts on the movie I saw last evening with my friend Kristen.

After both of us were somewhat indecisive on what to see, we finally decided to go to the Cinemark 8 in North Richland Hills, which charges only $1.25 for movies that start before 6 PM. (If only the same discount applied to concessions...)

We chose The Seeker: The Dark is Rising ahead of time, but I think it was primarily based on title and not because we'd even really heard of it or desired greatly to see it.

If you haven't already added this to your "must see" list, please don't. I won't flat out say that it was a terrible movie - it wasn't - but it sure as hell wasn't great either.

My issues with the movie? It was flat, first of all. The plot wasn't all that intriguing, quite honestly. But perhaps I wasn't in the demographic they were aiming for. Next, the characters were as flat as the plot. None of the characters were developed at all - not bit - and consequentially, the interaction between characters made little-to-no sense at all. My final real issue with this movie was that the editor had a bit too much fun - the thing was positively jumpy, hopping from scene to scene without a segue to be seen. (HA! Say THAT seven times fast!)

Oh yeah, and it was derivative. I was reminded of these other stories/movies greatly through nearly the entire movie:

The Day After Tomorrow
A Wrinkle in Time
The Chronicles of Narnia (complete; not just one of the stories)
The Birds
and Sleepy Hollow

So if you'd like to see a movie about drastic climate changes on earth that occur while bending time and on a magical quest that includes creepy blackbirds and a mysterious horseman...The Seeker is your best bet.

If not, stay away.

Tiffany

Post a Comment