Thursday Thirteen #6

I can't believe it's that time of the week again...and even after skipping last week for Thanksgiving, I can't believe it's already time for another TT! Ack, what to write, what to write? (It's midnight, folks. My mind is dead.)

Whenever I'm not quite sure what to write next, or where one of my projects is headed, or when I'm just not in the mood to write, I have lots of ways to occupy my mind. That's what I call it, at least. For all the rest of ya'll, you might say I've just found...

Thirteen Ways to Procrastinate

1. Read - I pick up whatever novel I'm in the middle of - reading is never a bad thing, and it's a great way to waste - er - fill time until your next activity!

2. Surf - I tend to compulsively search the internet for random information. It may be looking for more writing jobs (when I already have enough to keep me busy) or pricing new cars (when the plan isn't to buy one for another 6-9 months) or even looking at hotels in places I want to visit. You may call it pointless; I call it research.

3. Write - Writing can definitely be a form of procrastination...when you start writing on things that have nothing to do with what you're supposed to be doing. Sometimes, when a project just ain't blowing up my skirt, I'll write on just about anything but that project. Sigh.

4. Recipes - I compulsively read recipes. I share that in common with my mother, who owns, no joke, over 200 cookbooks. (I think I'm being conservative. Before they moved a couple years ago, her shelved cookbooks took up 3 freestanding bookshelves, and she had tons more unshelved.)

5. Budget - Ok, so budgeting is a good thing, right? Saves money, pays off debt, yada yada. Except that I'm compulsive about it, and so when I'm looking to waste - er - fill a few minutes, I analyze various budget points. I'm a geek. Go away.

6. Schedule - Perhaps I just have a compulsive personality in general, but I like scheduling my time. In 15-minute slots. From waking up to going to sleep. But only occasionally. I think I use scheduling as a stress thing; when I feel like there's too much on my plate, I schedule everything.

7. Clean - I know, I know...cleanliness is next to Godliness. But I clean just to get out of doing other things at times...and luckily, I have a house that's pretty dang clean 95% of the time as a result, but I'm starting to think that I'd happily trade that in for a finished manuscript!

8. Fetch - My younger dog, Missy, only learned how to fetch at the age of almost-five. What other dogs do by instinct...well, her scrambled mind takes a lot longer to learn. So when I'm looking for a mind break, I'll either grab her tennis ball and head for the yard or her stuffed Christmas toy and stay in the house and we have ourselves some silly fun.

9. Pet - My kitty cats are just irresistable at times. They just beg to be pet. In my own defense, they sometimes come crawl in my lap while typing, occasionally laying right on the keyboard, so they make me procrastinate. Oh yes, they do!!

10. TV - Well, TV is usually a last resort, quite honestly. My mother-in-law and I were just talking over dinner tonight that I typically don't watch any shows unless Chris is home. I do, usually, keep it on for noise, however. Old habit from lots of time spent living alone. So when I'm at an impasse...I actually tune into whatever's on. Sometimes for hours. Thank God we gave up HBO!

11. Memes - Actually, that's why I did both my first Friday Feast and Manic Monday - I only really intended to keep up with TTs, but, finding myself with some time that I didn't want to use for the purpose it was intended, I got started...and now can't stop! (And don't want to, so nah!)

12. Organize - Ok, admittedly, this is truly, truly a last, last, last resort. Because as much as I like an organized house, I have to be in a truly manic mood to start organizing. But at certain times...it just works!

13. Sleep - When in doubt, naps work wonders. Always. Even 20 minutes! It's actually amazing how refreshed I sometimes feel after a quick episode of shut-eye. I think I'll go do that now, in fact...should get in a good 6 hours before it's time to start tomorrow! :-)

Hope you all have great Thursdays! If you leave me your link, I'll be around to visit later!

Tiffany


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



15 comments

  1. I do all of the above, but surfing has got to be my worst..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this word ! It fits to me, lol ! and your n° 9 the excuse with the cats especially !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great List! - Speaking of procrastinating. I have to go to bed. LOL - Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading is never a waste of time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know these all too well!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sleep. Surfing. Promo gunk. Sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list. I'm the world's greatest procrastinator, LOL. Happy TT!

    My list of thirteen bizarre phobias is up at Siani's Pot-Pourri.

    ReplyDelete
  8. in high school i was voted biggest procrastinator. i'm really bad!

    happy tt!

    -a

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't function when there's too much clutter. So instead of doing what I should be doing, I have to put everything back first!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it something how good we are at avoidance...
    Happy TT to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with many of those, but several of those are things I procrastinate from.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dude, here I thought I was slacking for not getting my TT turned in on time--didn't even think one up this week. Wednesday night rolled by and I thought--Ack! I should...

    But hubby bought me a copy of "The Sure Thing" and Cusak was calling me...I stayed up waaay too late watching the movie instead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome T13, was busy yesterday and didn't get to visit as many as usual, but glad I caught this one today!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm guilty of all of those, too!

    ReplyDelete