Thursday Thirteen #4


Thirteen Favorite Quotes/Lines from Audrey Hepburn


If you can't tell by the theme of my site, I'm an enormous Audrey Hepburn fan. This week, as tribute to that great lady whose talents far transcended acting, a collection of my favorite quotes and lines from AUDREY HEPBURN.

1. "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
One of her most memorable quotes...I love it.
2. "I have no illusions about my looks. I think my face is funny."
(From Funny Face, 1957)
In real life, Audrey believed the same. Perhaps she never heard the phrase that imitation is the highest form of flattery, because women, including myself, have tried to imitate her "look" for decades.
3. "Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm. As you get older, remember you have another hand: The first is to help yourself; the second is to help others."
Boy, do I wish that other people would learn this and live it. There are far too many people on this planet who just will not ever try to help themselves - let alone reach out to others.
4. "If I could find a real-life place that'd make me feel like Tiffany's, then - then I'd buy some furniture and give the cat a name!"
(From Breakfast at Tiffany's, 1961)
Stolen from my own blog's heading - one of the best lines in the film.
5. "Pick the day. Enjoy it - to the hilt. The day as it comes. People as they come... The past, I think, has helped me appreciate the present - and I don't want to spoil any of it by fretting about the future."
I aspire to live my life in this manner.
6. "Did you know that there are people who sleep with absolutely nothing on at all?"
(From Roman Holiday, 1953)
This line cracks me up...and her delivery of it is precious. I need to re-watch this film...it's been far too long since I've last seen it. Perhaps tonight!
7. "I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person."
I believe in this philosophy...if more people could just learn to laugh - and have people in their live to make that laughter possible - wouldn't we all be happier? When I made the conscious decision in my life to become a happier person, one of the only real changes I made was to laugh as often as I could!
8. "Oh, but Paris isn't for changing planes, it's for changing your outlook! For throwing open the windows and letting in... letting in la vie en rose."
(From Sabrina, 1954)
I've never been a huge fan of France, primarily based on their foreign policy and lack of military strength (How many gears does a French tank have? 4 in reverse to retreat and 1 going forward in case it is flanked from behind.) but this quote - and the character's experience overseas - could almost make me want to visit Paris!
9. "I decided, very early on, just to accept life unconditionally; I never expected it to do anything special for me, yet I seemed to accomplish far more than I had ever hoped. Most of the time it just happened to me without my ever seeking it."
Profound wisdom from a WWII survivor who achieved far more than she ever expected. Could be used as inspiration for all of us to reach beyond whatever ills ail our lives and accomplish bigger and better for ourselves!
10. "The difference between a lady and a flower girl is not how she behaves, but how she is treated."
(From My Fair Lady, 1964)
I have no commentary for this. Strong line, strong delivery, strong message.
11. "It's that wonderful old-fashioned idea that others come first and you come second. This was the whole ethic by which I was brought up. Others matter more than you do, so 'don't fuss, dear; get on with it.'"
I struggle with this in my life.
12. "You're like this house. You suffer, you show your wounds, but you stand."
(From War and Peace, 1956)
Again, profound. I can offer no commentary, except to say that if more people would force themselves to remain standing even after the most grievous of blows, what a more wonderful place our earth would be.
13. "I don't want to be alone, I want to be left alone."
Amen!





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



6 comments

  1. I think I like the last one best. Great list - happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's some great ones there, Tiffany. I love #7, my own personal philsophy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these are wonderful! I loved her in charade!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are all very wonderful. And the writing of the dialogue (when they were from movies) is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Thursday Post! I love Thursdays, the kids are in bed 7:30, then Earl, the Office, Greys, and ER are on! Can you say no laundry , and take out for dinner on Thursdays?????????

    Hope you have a great TT, stop by my blog if you can!

    DEB

    ReplyDelete