Weight Gain and Pregnancy

We're all different in our body compositions and how much weight we gain during the normal course of a pregnancy. Since we got pregnant, I've had people tell me they gained 5 pounds (they were overweight prior to being pregnant) all the way up to 70 pounds. Supposedly, you aren't supposed to gain much weight in the first trimester, moderately in the second trimester, and then a pound a week in the third.

Well...

Yeah, my body doesn't work like that. I gained something like 20 pounds in the first trimester - granted, I was about 10-15 pounds underweight, but yikes! Then I gained about another 15 in the second trimester. We're talking holy cow territory where my legs started hurting just to walk since I had gained such a percentage of my body weight. Now in the third, I've barely gained any weight at all. I think I'm up 3 pounds in 5 weeks.

I know that just through delivering baby, I'll lose quite a bit of weight, but I'd anticipate I'll still have around 15 pounds to lose afterwards. I plan to go on the P90X exercise plan once I'm about 4 weeks post-delivery.

How about you, readers? Did you have a specific exercise plan in mind for post-baby? Care to share what it is?

2 comments

  1. First I love the new look, sharp!
    I think you need to realize you are probably going to have very little trouble losing weight after bunny comes. I had no problems after Niko, it was after my c-section with zak that everything what south and stayed there.
    You need to worry less, Bunny needs that weight right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so! I think the reason for my apprehension is that I've actually never tried to lose weight before in my life. I've also been told that by breastfeeding, weight will come off quickly. I'm quite looking forward to my exercise routine - it looks like it'll really kick my butt into shape!!

    As always, Sassy Mama Bear, you are a voice that calms me! :-)

    ReplyDelete