Choices, Choices

My husband had his first dental appointment today in two years. Two years! (Ok, I can't really crab at him, because I'm behind, too...I've had a temporary crown for, er, two years. It just never seems to be the right time to get my wisdom teeth out so I can get my permanent crown. Hangs head.)

In any case, while he was getting ready to go, I was printing out the info he'd need for my dental insurance. While I was sorting through my company's intranet to find the info I needed, he asked if I'd already looked into what it would cost to insure the baby once she's here...because my benefits are way cheaper than his job offers, so I'll be taking her on as a dependent. I replied, with some frustration, that my company was going to begin offering three choices of insurers this next year instead of one, with all new plans...but even though open enrollment begins in like a month, I hadn't seen any info yet on what those choices were. Argh!

Since I love to research everything (haha...you already knew that, dear reader), I hopped on the internet to start looking at what options may be out there, so I'm knowledgeable on other carriers when the time comes to make my decisions. One of the sites I came across was eKaiserInsurance, which I immediately recognized as a great name for healthcare and health insurance. When I'd looked at the possibility of relocating to NoCal a few years ago, Kaiser Permanente California was a potential plan I'd come across then as I investigated potential jobs and their coverages.

What I found out in my research today is that Kaiser Permanente is not just based in California - myth busted! - but actually offers insurance coverage in several other states as well - for instance, Kaiser Permanente Colorado and Kaiser Permanente Georgia. Unfortunately, they're not yet in Texas, so they won't be an option for me to choose come open enrollment, but I was pleased to see that in the states where they do offer coverage, there are a ton of plan options. Perhaps they'll make their way to my state one of these days and I can try them out myself!

For now, I'm back to researching potential health plans, trying to guess what next year's choices (and prices!) might bring!

Post a Comment