Democratic Convention - Day 1

Without necessarily wanting to, but drawn in like a moth is to light, I watched the first day's coverage on network TV (I got to hang out with Katie Couric and a Bob Schieffer who is starting to resemble the crypt keeper) while working on my blogs and on my EntreCard drops.

I'm less than impressed. Here are my thoughts from day one:
  • Michelle Obama's brother, when asked by Katie Couric to describe his sister with one word, chose to say "sincere." Katie apparently thought this was a brilliant response. I don't. I've never doubted Michelle's sincerity. She was sincere when she made remarks indicating that she's never had reason before to be proud of her country. She was sincere when she attended a church for nearly two decades listening to her pastor spout phrases like "God Damn America" instead of "God Bless America." Calling someone sincere is not necessarily a compliment; it simply indicates that they believe in what they think or say or do. And I happen to sincerely believe that Michelle and Barack Obama in the White House is a very bad idea.
  • Katie asked Bob Schieffer at one point about the progression of the election. In his opinion, there will be two strategies employed during the remaining time before election day - one by the Democrats and one by the Republicans. And further, in his opinion, whichever strategy is more successful will win. Thank you, Captain Obvious. That's like saying that the football game will be won by whomever scores more points. Duh.
  • During Michelle Obama's speech, she was certainly passionate. But consider this, folks: what was she passionate about? If you break down her speech (which you really don't want me to do...I could go on for pages...) she didn't actually say anything of substance. But that's par for the course. Her husband, as a politician, hasn't accomplished anything of substance, so the pair is well matched.
Your turn, folks! We've had some good back and forth in my comments in the past couple weeks on other issues concerning politics in America - let's keep that going. Remember, however, that at this blog, I'm the President, and I have veto power over inappropriate comments, so let's keep it clean and respectful!

4 comments

  1. Well Tiffany I guess you figured you would hear from me on this one. The democratic desperation is showing one again....McCain's houses....give me a break His integrity is so bullet proof that's all they can come up with...Pathetic! I had the opportunity to meet senator McCain last Nov 10 at Marine Corps Birthday Ball (yes I'm a Marine)In NH. You can tell a lot about a person when you look in there eyes and shake their hand, I was able to talk one on one with him for awhile. I saw a man of of the highest integrity and honor who has dedicated his ENTIRE life to service to his country (I'm a hard person to impress)and he's really funny.He is the closest thing to a Teddy Roosevelt we will ever see. So this week we will hear a lot of BLAA BLAA BLAA... of no substance whatsoever. Oh my God ! the shrew is going to speak today.....Ugh....they should all pack up their spines and go home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear from you! :-) And thank you for your service with the Marines - I was tempted to guess after previous comments that you were in the military!

    There's one thing in your comment I take exception to - I'm not quite sure any of them actually had spines to bring with them to the convention! The Democratic party has been filled with mostly spineless losers for so long now, that they wouldn't know what to do with a spine if they found one! (Two notable exceptions being Zell Miller and Joe Lieberman.)

    Out of morbid curiosity, I'll keep watching Convention coverage and reporting my thoughts. Can't wait to hear what the shrew's going to say...I'm sure it'll be all double meanings and whiny rants disguised as graciousness.

    And readers - no worries! I'll be watching and reviewing the Republican Convention next week as well - and if I see anything that riles me up, you'll be sure to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your welcome Tiff...but I should point out that my service in the Marines was quite some time ago....you know "once a Marine always a Marine" That being said if you can sit and listen to her entire speech I will put you in for a medal of valor....As a friend said yesterday "listening to her talk is much like hearing fingernails on a chalk board"....I wonder if she would like some cheese with that whine....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whether current or past, you deserve many thanks for your service!

    If I weren't pregnant, I'd sit down with a nice large adult beverage before attempting to listen to Hillary...but since that is not possible, I'm instead going to use chocolate ice cream to help power me through. Let's see...she's scheduled to speak for, what? 20 minutes? How much ice cream should I buy? Think a gallon would do it?

    At least I missed hearing Nancy Pelosi last night. Now there's a shrew who grates on me even worse than Hillary! Glad I missed out on Carter, too. Gag me.

    My viewing schedule from tonight will begin at 7PM Mountain and last until 9 PM Mountain. The only scheduled speaker I'm enthusiastic to hear is Sen. Casey of Pennsylvania - he's from my hometown of Scranton (and an alum of my high school...and I had the occasion to meet him several times...and was good friends with one of his nephews...etc., etc.,etc) and despite being a Dem, he's typically less scuzzy than the rest.

    Here's a good schedule from the Convention:
    http://www.demconwatchblog.com/2008/08/convention-speakers-and-agenda.html

    ReplyDelete