Taking On Senseless Death

(Post Transferred from my formerly stand-alone blog, Tiffany Takes On.)

It was announced yesterday that actor Heath Ledger was found dead in a New York apartment with sleeping pills found nearby. Although his autopsy produced inconclusive results and the "true" cause of his death may not be known for some time, I wanted to take this opportunity to rail on the senseless deaths that have ended the lives and careers of well-known celebrities.

I spent some time yesterday talking to a co-worker about Ledger's death, and we both came to the conclusion that there is something inbred into the celebrity persona that makes people believe they are above or beyond death. Like it isn't permanent. Like drinking or drugs or reckless behavior won't have the same affect on them as it has on everybody else. Like they aren't mortal.

I enjoyed many of the movies in which Heath Ledger played a role. I also enjoyed the various performance styles of Chris Farley, Kurt Cobain, River Phoenix, and unfortunately many, many other celebs whose lives ended unnaturally. But I will surely not canonize a celebrity for being a tortured soul or having a crazy lifestyle that lead to such a senseless end. That's simply ridiculous.

We all have struggles, challenges, and difficulties in our lives. But how many of us end up in this manner? Fortunately, not many. Because I think another inbred portion of the celebrity persona is the "poor me" syndrome which leads to the belief that no one else has issues or problems. Tortured celebrity? I dare them to go change places for JUST ONE DAY with a soldier fighting in Iraq. Misunderstood personality? Go shadow a social worker who is charged with the responsibility of maintaining the welfare of dozens of babies and eeking just some small sense of justice out of this world. Crazy lifestyle? I don't think there are many celebrities out there with enough stamina to trade lives for even the shortest amount of time with a police officer who leaves for work each and every day knowing that today might be the day a criminal ends his career or life.

I will remember Heath Ledger somewhat fondly for his acting abilities. I will not, however, shed any tears for the way in which his life ended. What a senseless death.

Read more here: Autopsy fails to find how actor Heath Ledger died.
(1 Comment Transferred; original posting date 1/23/08, 7:33 AM.)

Gellianne said...
Hi! Very nice post and informative too. Thanks for the visit at my blog. And yeah, I think I need some "me" time. February 8, 2008 9:44 PM

Post a Comment