Manic Monday #12

Can you believe it's already Monday again! Here are this week's Manic Monday questions, courtesy of Lisa!

If you had to be named after one of the 50 states, which would it be?
Mmm...I'd have to say this is about the most unusual question I can conceive of answering.
We'll go with Nevada. Just call me "Nevvie." :-)

Where do you go for advice?
Hmm. The internet, a lot. A few of my iVillage boards...also a lot. Occasionally friends and family, although I really prefer to find my own answers.

What is the sickest you've ever been?
Hmm. Well...I'll actually name three times. The first was back in 1993 - I had salmonella poisoning, which earned me a very unpleasant 5-day hospital stay and resulted in losing 15 pounds just in that time. I was down for about two weeks total. They kicked me out of the hospital once they realized that it was salmonella and not my appendix (which they were about 5 minutes away from removing when my tests finally came back) and so I suffered at home for the next week. There IS no treatment for salmonella...at least there wasn't 15 years ago.

The second time was just before I was initially diagnosed with Graves' Disease. I'd been sick for a long time...losing weight like crazy, not sleeping to the point of feeling manic, ending up at the ER every other week because I'd crash or my body would just be tearing itself down. Finally, one doctor managed to pull his head out of his ass and run the right tests to figure out that I had a thyroid issue. This happened again a few years later after I was taken off meds prior to surgery for another issue and my doctor left the practice and the new doctor thought I was depressed instead of a thyroid patient and treated me as such. Then, my blood pressure was spiking so high that I was too weak to even walk a flight of stairs. Read about it here.

And finally, last winter, the second time I had pneumonia that winter. The whole needing breathing treatments and having to sleep sitting up while taking inhaler hits every 20 minutes thing was just not fun. That was another two weeks stolen out of my life.

I once had a doctor tell me that I was either the sickest healthy person or healthiest sick person they'd ever encountered. Yeah...my immune system pretty well doesn't exist. Fun times. :-)

Have a great week, ya'll! Make sure to leave your link in my Linky AND leave a comment!

15 comments

  1. Hi Nevvie! :)
    usually i check out the internet first, too ...
    gosh, that's a lot of time spent being sick! hope you're doing much much better now. :)

    take care!
    Happy MM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh well, now i know i am not the only person in the world who got sick a lot of time. kidding!

    have a great week!

    by the way, congrats on the certification!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pneumonia totally sucks I just had it.

    Mine is up,too. Have a great Monday everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to find my own answers, usually online, too. Sorry to hear about the nasty bouts of sickness - I hope you're fighting fit at the moment. Happy MM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness some people are really lucky because they did not have any sickness but here you are have some shall we say can we give that to others? hahaha kidding... Happy MM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nevvie, Callie here! Sorry to hear about all the ailments you've had to deal with. Poor you. Hope you're doing well now! Take care! *HUGS & SMILES*

    The Safe Harbor

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the nickname Nevvie! It's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You piqued my curiosity, I'm going to go look that Graves' disease up.


    I had my first Manic Monday up today, you can see it here.

    Happy MM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Nevvie" is actually kind of growing on me - I'm thinking I may need a character in one of my WIPs who has the name Nevada and nickname "Nevvie".

    Thanks for coming to visit, ya'll! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, not fun. hate it when docs don't take you seriously.

    I use the Internet a lot too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nevvie. One of my daughters is Nettie. You have many bad memories of being sick. I'd be afraid to go out in public with all of those germs out there. I usually get a lot of my advice from the Internet, too. There are so many people that write about their experiences. My daughter, Ellen, and I are doing Maniac Monday for the first time.
    http://onwardchristianwoman.blogspot.com/
    http://ellenspotpourri.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nevvie. Thank you for leaving a comment on my new blog. I'm sorry that you get sick so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tiffany "nevvie":D!

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.

    Blessings to you :)

    ReplyDelete