The Ignorance of Children...

I judged a speech and debate tournament between yesterday and today, and I'm reminded again of the ignorance of children.

In particular, I judge LD (Lincoln Douglas) Debate, Extemp (Extemporaneous Current Events Speaking) and Congress (speeches for/against resolutions). I just other events as well, but these are the ones that deal with current events.

I've got to tell you that some of the analysis I hear is so freaking cracked up, it makes my head hurt. I'm not saying that I have a difference of opinion with what's presented...I'm saying that the way these kids analyze issues is seriously flawed.

Is it their parent's fault? Is it their teacher's fault? Have we, as a society, just become less analytical?

It scares me that these kids are our future leaders. Year by year - and I've been judging for almost ten years - the analysis just gets worse and worse.

I'm looking forward to teaching Spoiled Baby how to handle thinking through current events issues. Not what to think - I don't need a mini me - but how to process what goes on in the world around her.

It seems that there's just not enough emphasis placed on learning how to think. Seriously!

2 comments

  1. Tiffany,
    Just checked out your other blogs and was impressed. Now I find you judge debate and IE (I just retired from teaching Communication and coaching debate) so I am officially declaring you one of my regular bloggers to read. See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished judging a tournament as well, and I found it depressing. I keep wondering if I have unrealistic expectations of kids that age. They are good kids, doing their best. Yet I wonder if they really THINK about what they are saying.

    I wish you luck in helping your child be more aware of current events. I find that mine continuously surprise me. I try to bring certain items in the newspapers and on the web to their attention, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. Then they come out with an insightful comment about world events I didn't even know was on their radar!

    ReplyDelete