Debate Wrap Up

Yes, I know. You still want my Republican Convention wrap up, too. I promise...some day! :-) (Also still on the list is two posts on immigration and a new addition: a history lesson on what health insurance was/was not meant to cover.)

In the meantime, here's how I commented on Twitter during the debate:
  • It's too bad that Senator Obama has never read the 10th amendment to the Constitution. Education and healthcare are NOT federal issues.
  • I don't think I can stress strongly enough how much Senator Obama frightens me. We are screwed, blued and tattooed if that man is elected.
  • I'm so glad that Obama reserves the right to talk to whomever he wants. What if they don't want to talk to him? Oy.
  • Gee...if we'd just have invited the North Koreans to dinner, they wouldn't have nuclear weapons. This man is an idiot.
  • Obama needs one of those court reporters to read the record of WHAT HE'S JUST SAID back to him so he doesn't flip flop every five minutes.
  • Obama's foreign policy is the equivalent of parents who send their children to the corner instead of spanking them. Just not effective.
  • Obama: "There has never been a country on Earth that saw its economy decline and yet maintained its military superiority." YES THERE HAS. The US. WWII. Duh.
  • Clear winner - McCain. How can you even take Obama seriously? The man has clearly shown that he is not prepared to lead a country.
And here are some quotes from the transcript, and my reactions:
  • Obama: "we've got to make sure that we're helping homeowners, because the root problem here has to do with the foreclosures that are taking place all across the country."
    No. No, no, no. If people didn't buy more home than they could afford, they wouldn't foreclose. The bank's fault in this problem is changing their standards in how people qualify for loans. But the bigger fault lays with homeowners living beyond their means.
  • Obama: "And unless we are holding ourselves accountable day in, day out, not just when there's a crisis for folks who have power and influence and can hire lobbyists, but for the nurse, the teacher, the police officer, who, frankly, at the end of each month, they've got a little financial crisis going on."
    Did he pick three professions - nurse, teacher, police officer - that are fairly well paid for a reason? Most teachers make more for nine month's work than I make for 12. My husband, as a police officer, makes well above the median income. And after years of working in healthcare, I can assure you that nurses are well paid. Obama, your example sucks. If these "above median" wage earners have a crisis at the end of the month, it's because they have not budgeted properly and are living outside of their means. And that's not something the government can fix.
  • McCain: "Well, the first thing we have to do is get spending under control in Washington. It's completely out of control. It's gone -- we have now presided over the largest increase in the size of government since the Great Society."
    AMEN! I want the government to get the hell out of my business. I do not need some agency that covenes quarterly in some building in a half-assed city on the east coast to make decisions for my life. And I certainly want no part of the thousands of "entitlement" programs the government oversees. It's that word - entitlement - that has lead generations of leeches to expect someone else to provide for their needs rather than getting off their duffs and providing for themselves.
  • Obama: "Well, Senator McCain is absolutely right that the earmarks process has been abused, which is why I suspended any requests for my home state, whether it was for senior centers or what have you, until we cleaned it up."
    Way to piss of the senior citizens. Wouldn't want to cut off support to the ignorant and lazy young people who live off the dole. Let's screw the seniors. Jackass.
  • Obama: "And one of the things I think we have to do is make sure that college is affordable for every young person in America."
    Don't waste your time. If someone wants an education badly enough, they can get it. Period. I worked my way through college, earning scholarships, taking loans, and holding down two jobs at a time while still taking between 18 and 21 credits every semester. Don't tell me others can't do the same because I'll tell you that you're full of shit.
  • McCain: "How about a spending freeze on everything but defense, veteran affairs and entitlement programs."
    Sounds great to me. Just cut the entitlement programs, too. It's time to shit or get off the pot for folks who would rather get a monthly check than get a job.
  • McCain: "Well, I want to make sure we're not handing the health care system over to the federal government which is basically what would ultimately happen with Senator Obama's health care plan. I want the families to make decisions between themselves and their doctors. Not the federal government."
    AMEN! Thank you.
  • Obama: "Well, this is an area where Senator McCain and I have a fundamental difference because I think the first question is whether we should have gone into the war in the first place."
    Oh, you stupid ass. Why don't you just pack up your toys and go home since you're still sulking over decisions that were made half a decade ago? Do we really want a president who will sulk over the past instead of plan for the future?
  • Obama: "But that's Senate inside baseball."
    Wait just a freaking minute. McCain points out that Obama has never held a hearing for his subcommittee that should oversee NATO issues in Afghanistn, and Obama explains it away as "inside baseball?" Are you kidding? I thought Obama was the one who wanted transparency in government. Apparently, just not when it comes to his own actions.
  • McCain: "I'm not going to set the White House visitors schedule before I'm president of the United States. I don't even have a seal yet."
    That's just fabulous. I can't stop laughing.
  • McCain: "So let me get this right. We sit down with Ahmadinejad, and he says, "We're going to wipe Israel off the face of the Earth," and we say, "No, you're not"? Oh, please."
    And now I'm laughing even harder. This is great stuff.

Mr. Obama, your campaign slogan is "Change We Need." I will glad give you some change - 35 cents, to be exact - so you can phone for a taxi and get the hell off the national stage. You clearly are not qualified to take charge of a country.

Mr. McCain, I'll be honest. I'm still not your biggest fan. I would have preferred the Republicans to offer up a different candidate. But I'm coming to like you more and more. And I really like that you emphasized your long and distinguished record in the debate, as well as the many bipartisan efforts you have been involved with over the years. And bravo for continually pointing out how ignorant Obama is when it comes to any type of national and foreign policy!

2 comments

  1. Very insightful and detailed reading of last night's debate--and so quick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So.....OK Tiff....tell us how you really feel :)

    ReplyDelete