Sneakers are Shoes

Good Tuesday morning to everyone, and welcome to the 6th edition of Tuesday Travel Tips with Tiffany! To read previous editions, you can find them here.

Like last week, I'm going with the overly obvious for a title this week. Unfortunately...the overly obvious is somehow not obvious to some of our fellow travelers!

Consider a situation I recently encountered at the airport:

While in a long line of passengers waiting to clear security on a busy Tuesday morning, I noticed that the woman in front of me was not even making an attempt to take off her shoes as she prepared her belongings to go through the X-ray. Let me tell you...they really completed her running suit.

In any case, I've learned my lesson about offering advice to fellow passengers while in line, so I decided to simply watch the show. Ms. Sneakers shoved her bin through the machine and queued up to pass through the human part of the scanner. The TSA agent on the other side gave her the once-over before motioning her forward. When one is wearing bright pink sneakers, they don't typically escape notice.

"Ma'am," he called. "You'll need to remove your shoes and send them through the security device before you can come through."

"These aren't shoes," she snappily retorted. "They're SNEAKERS. They have RUBBER soles. I'm not taking them off."

"Ma'am," he began again, with a weary note in his voice. "You wear them on your FEET. Therefore, they're SHOES. Please remove them."

D'oh. That's really all I have to say. Folks, this isn't the Bill Clinton show - we're not defining what "is" is, here. If you cannot comprehend what the category of shoes encompasses, I'm not sure you should be getting weekend passes from the home to travel!

During any of your upcoming travels, I'd highly advise you to have basic wardrobe concepts straight in your head before entering the security line. Then again, this woman did provide much hilarity to the rest of us!

Until next time...

Safe Travels!

Post a Comment