Texans and Snow

Before I moved to Texas almost nine years ago, I would have sworn to you that it didn't snow here. After all, I was moving to the area better known for 100+ degree days in the summer than lower-than-freezing in the winter.

My first winter here, we had two days off from work for sleet. My mom hasn't yet stopped teasing me about that.

Last Christmas, we had a foot of snow. A foot! Are you kidding me?

And now, today, we're on our third day of iffy roads and cancelled activities. So I thought I'd offer up three reflections this morning on snow in Texas.

  1. Your SUV is worthless. I love that people think that because they have a big old honking truck or SUV, they can barrel down barely-cleared roads. First, it has to have four wheel drive to make a difference, and many of the SUVs and trucks in Texas do not. Second, the moron sitting up front has to know HOW to handle a four wheel drive for it to do a damn bit of good. Here's a hint: stay home.
  2. Buy out the entire grocery store. Please. Because in addition to being stuck in your house a whole half mile from the store for ohmygod three days, we may also then get hit by an inland typhoon and a category 15 tornado that rips the very ground from beneath our feet. Seriously. I'm not kidding. I saw it on YouTube.
  3. Post your plight to Facebook/Twitter/Your(my) Blog. Your friends up north in actual snow belts who are currently staring down 18 inches of fluff will definitely take pity on you and help you to plan out your survival strategy for the sleet that may come tomorrow. And they definitely won't make fun of you to other friends.
Ah, snow. Ah, Texas. What a perfect storm of hilarity!


Companion Pieces

0 to Mom: Kids and Snow Days

The Officer's Wife: Snow Days and Scheduling

3 comments

  1. This made me laugh...So true! You know everyone up north laughs at Texans when they panic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, we Texans laugh at northerners start fainting in 90 degree weather. Just buy an air conditioner for crying out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true, Tom! My mom starts complaining of heat when it gets above 85...but happily keeps her heat at 60 all winter. Brr! No thanks!

    ReplyDelete