Snow Days and Scheduling

My husband works what I consider to be an odd schedule. It's on 2, off 2, on 3, off 2, on 2, off 3. Repeat. I guess it's nice, because it's a 14-day schedule, so it replicates every two weeks. His shifts are 12 hours each, which turn into 14 hours each when commuting time is added, plus that blanket time in arriving for shifts early and leaving shifts a few minutes late. But he has different days off different weeks, and that can make scheduling tricky. I don't work different days different weeks, and our daughter, who attends a Montessori preschool, doesn't go to school different days different weeks.

We have a pretty delicately balanced work around, which I think is common to police families. Since we work opposite shifts, we cover for each other a lot. Which works great...until you factor in training classes, work trips, court dates, traded shifts...or snow days. Yes, even in north Texas we have the occasional snow day.

Or 3!

Screws up roads, cancels schools, kills schedules.

So I'll be staying home today to watch kiddos while the hubby rests and gets ready for his next shift tonight. And I'll be thanking my lucky stars that I am able to work remotely for my job as needed...while digging deep for patience and creativity in balance kids and work.

Other days, one of my husband's aunts saves us by watching the kids when our schedules collide. We wouldn't make it without that help, and our kids love having a surrogate grandma nearby since their own grandparents all live thousands of miles away.

What are your coping techniques when schedules go haywire?


Companion Pieces

Breakfast at Tiffany's: Texans and Snow

Post a Comment