Kids and Snow Days

Remember how exciting it used to be when a snow day was announced? We'd gather around the TV at 5 AM praying that our school name would scroll past next. In the average winter, we'd get 3-6 days off for snow...which would then be made up by deleting days from spring break or staying in school longer in June.

Of course, I also grew up in the north, where a snow day required an actual appreciable snowfall or severely slick roads.

Here in Texas, I wasn't quite expecting to deal with snow days for my kiddos. I mean, the thought of an inch of snow shutting anything down is just hilarious. But then you consider that there's like 3 snow plows in an area home to six million people...and the lack of services for slick roads makes sense.

My daughter's preschool is closed for the third day in a row. This blows my mind. Especially since that means balancing kid duty and work-from-home duty today. Again. When my kid would actually rather head out the door to play with her friends and I would rather head out the door to work with mine.

What's your kid-and-snow-day strategy? We're loading up on Dora, Play Doh, coloring books, and hiding anything with removable lids or copious amounts of fur. Do I really need to explain that part?

And we're hoping for better weather next week. Because this mom is much less of a snow day fan as an adult than she was as a child!



Companion Pieces

Breakfast at Tiffany's: Texans and Snow

The Officer's Wife: Snow Days and Scheduling

Post a Comment