Your Thoughts - Reality TV?

How do you feel about Reality TV, dear readers?

Are you like me? If so, you probably have a love/hate relationship with the dearth of reality shows that have hit the tube over the past decade.

I hearken fondly back to the days of Real World and Road Rules, when those were about the only "reality" shows around. Of course...they even predate the genre!

These days, I avidly avoid shows like Survivor (how is that reality) and Big Brother (really, isn't this just Real World on steroids?) but confess that I have a secret fondness for a few shows.

For instance, I never miss the auditions for American Idol. I don't watch anything after the auditions, but those tryouts are the real thing: folks who really think they have talent when, in reality (ha ha) they have none.

Another show I love is Wife Swap. Among reality shows, this is my mood booster. It really reminds me how lucky I am to lead the life I lead, and how screwed up some people are! For similar reasons, I sometimes tune into SuperNanny - I mean, seriously, are these parents for real?

If you're an avid Reality TV fan, or even just a sometime viewer, check out RealityBug.com. They have news and updates on a wide variety of reality shows from Mythbusters (I love watching the things they prove right - and wrong!) to Dirty Jobs (makes me feel better about what I do!) to American Chopper. (Hot guys, hotter bikes - yum!) No Wife Swap section yet, but I'm hopeful that they'll add one, soon!

2 comments

  1. I only watch Miami Ink ... I guess that's a reality show! I have seen Wife Swap & SuperNanny...I find it hard to believe that they're not scripted...can people really be that messed up?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Janet - it's amazing how very, very odd some of the families on those shows are.

    And on Wife Swap, my husband and I agree that each show much have a "come to Jesus" meeting - because there's always just a bunch of friction and people storming off and stuff...and then miraculously, they're back and all nice and stuff again. Hilarious! Makes me feel VERY much better about the minimal drama in my own life!

    ReplyDelete