Stop Calling Me!

We bought and moved into our house 13+ months ago, and along with that move came a new home phone number.

Ever since we've had our phone number, it's been a hassle and a half. For the first 6 or 7 months, 1 out of every 3 calls was meant for the previous owner of the phone number. My most common gripe when the phone rang was "who's number is this - ours or his?" Apparently, he was a real scumbag and owed lots of people (some of them not very nice) lots of money (some of them, lots of money). We got calls all hours of the day and night.

Halfway through those first few months, we also started receiving phone calls trying to collect money from a relative who put us down as a reference/contact but didn't tell us (ask us!) first.

Now, for the past 6 or 7 months, we've been getting survey and telemarketer phone calls. I'm thoroughly annoyed. After doing some research to get no call list information, I've put our number both on the national and Texas do not call lists, and we're still getting calls. Hopefully, those'll end soon - I think they're supposed to stop within 3 months.

There's also another breed of calls that also annoy me. It's the random numbers (without names) that call us at random times when we're not home (or when I refuse to answer, because I don't recognize the number). These people don't leave messages. But yet...they call. Sometimes, repeatedly!

I found a web site that's allowed me to alleviate some of my frustration, and wanted to share it with you, dear readers. They offer no call list information, but also give you a way to look up those annoying numbers that are calling you!

Who's Number Is This

1 comment

  1. It's happened to me too, Tiff. I was given a company cellphone about a year ago, and it seems it belonged to somebody who wasn't too keen on paying his bills. Even now, after all these months, I get the occasional call from a company asking me when am I going to pay this guy's bill. Sometimes, even from the phone company!!! :-)

    The link you put it there was cool. It doesn't work with Canadian numbers, though...

    Thanks for visiting my blog so often, Tiffany!

    ReplyDelete