Upcoming: REALLY LONG MEME

I should be writing tonight: I have major work to do on a freelancing project, and I really would like to make progress on one of my WIPs. But after more than three hours on the phone with my mother during various times today, my brain is shot. Just shot. I sometimes fail to understand how we are related. And I always fail to understand how she can be so nice to me in one breath and so viciously mean and self-serving in the next.

So...in order to distract myself and still feel like I'm doing something meaningful, I am going to participate in the 101 in 1001 MeMe: it's a list of 101 things to accomplish in 1001 days. Talk about...ambitious!

Milestone for today: my mother heard me utter the F-word for the first time ever today - I'm 27 years old and I would never have dreamed to say such a thing in front of her before, but her pity party was just simply too much to bear and I had to strike back and remind her that the rest of us have problems too. Sometimes big ones. Sometimes heartbreaking ones. Sometimes ones that challenge our souls. And yet the rest of us still go on with life. I think she was shocked. She certainly changed the subject and ended the phone call quickly afterwards. Of course...she then called back...twice. Three hours, people. OMG.

Happy moment for today: celebrating Kristen's graduation from law school at our house this afternoon. Ya, Kris! You rock, girl! (Now, since probate is your "thing"...after you pass the bar, wanna write our wills/trusts/medical directives? Can I even afford you?!)

Sad moment for today: physically, the rehab surgeon is under the impression that my dad will be well enough to end treatment for his broken hip and subsequent surgery on December 21st. That should be a happy thought. It isn't. Mentally, the social worker who has been consulting on this case (my mom was being investigated after Dad was brought home by the police a total of six times after he'd wandered away in a daze...a few times when she didn't even know he was gone) is recommending that he stay in the nursing home indefinitely due to his mental state with the Alzheimer's. UCK. UCK. BIGGER UCK. The better news side is that Medicare/Medicaid should continue to cover 100% for the forseeable future. However, I do not want my father in a nursing home any longer than necessary. Period. So I think I'm going to continue to let this play out for another couple months and then put my foot down. I agree that staying a bit longer is probably for the best...but for the long term? No. Hell no.

So...on to my MeMe! Please continue to keep my Dad in your prayers.

Tiffany

1 comment