101 in 1001: Goals

Michael Green of DayZero is the host to an innovative and challenging MeMe: 101 in 1001.

This MeMe challenges the participant to write a list of 101 goals that are "either measurable or clearly defined" as well as "realistic and stretching." After that - it's up to the participant to work like crazy to accomplish their goals.

The goals don't have to be broad or "impossible" in nature - they can be as simple as visiting a particular place or reading a certain book. But they do have to be something where a clear end point can be achieved and thus the goal checked off the master list.

Since I've been working through Margie Lawson's Defeating Self-Defeating Behaviors materials and finding my way to a place where I set more achievable and believable goals, I believe that this MeMe is the perfect long-term goal-setting undertaking! With the end of the year just days away, let's call this my New Year's Resolutions (On Steroids).

I encourage all of my readers to participate in this MeMe as well, and have added a Linky to the bottom to you can let me know that you'll be toiling alongside of me through the next 2.75 years. Let's go, folks...we all have things to accomplish, both major and minor, and this can be our first step towards success!

Tiffany's 101 Goals in 1001 Days

Starting Date: January 1, 2008
Ending Date: September 28, 2010
Just in time for my 30th birthday!

Travel
It is my goal to visit all 50 United States by the age of 30 - and my 30th birthday is October 8, 2010, just 12 days after the end of my 1001 day challenge - how perfect! There's a few other places/adventures I want to go on besides, so find them here!

001. Visit Alaska
002. Visit Hawaii
003. Visit Oregon
004. Visit Montana July 2009
005. Visit Wyoming
006. Visit North Dakota
007. Visit South Dakota
008. Visit Wisconsin
009. Visit Michigan
010. Go on a Cruise
011. Go (back) to Europe
012. Go (back) to Ocean City, New Jersey
013. Go (back) to Daytona Beach, Florida
014. Go (back) to LA.
015. Go (back) to New England to scope areas to use in The Mommy Letters.

Fictional Writing
I'm so good at starting...and not so good at finishing. Well, dang it, that's gotta change. Here are some goals for the next 1001 days in the realm of writing.

016. Finish Summer Break, a novella-length manuscript
017. Seek e-publication for Summer Break
018. Finish Going Home, a short novel-length manuscript
019. Seek critiques and feedback for Going Home in order to polish
020. Seek agent representation for Going Home
021. Seek print publication for Going Home
022. Finish one of other three novel-length manuscripts (TBD which one)
023. Continue to write and submit short stories to contests
024. Provide critiques for MS through the ORWC as often as possible In Progress

Freelance Writing
It's treated me well so far...here are my goals going forward!

025. Establish regular client list to provide regular workload 2008-2011 and Beyond
026. Attain an average (3+ consecutive months) writing salary of $2500 per month 2008
027. Seek print (mag) publication for an in-depth article on Grave's Disease
028. Seek print (mag) publication with queries at least once every six month period
029. Maintain regular participation in blogs as well as paid blogging opportunities
030. Grow AC readership through social networking to a level 10

Professional
This is not to say that my fictional and freelance writing is not professional. This category simply pertains to my full-time career in Human Resources at American Airlines.

031. Attain PHR certification Passed 1/20/2008

032. Attain PMP certification Passed October 2009
033. Attain LSGB certification Project Stage Completion March 2010
034. Attend CARE team training
035. Attend JBEC/JCT training Attended 2/26-27/2008

036. Seek field work opportunities
037. Revamp Internal Consultant program Project Stage Completion March 2010
038. Apply to MSHRM program
039. Begin MSHRM program
040. Promote to a Level 3 March 2010
041. Promote to a Level 4

Music
Music has always been an instrumental part of my life - I'm sure you'll allow me the pun.

042. Finish writing lyrics to hymn
043. Finish writing music to hymn
044. Submit hymn for performance consideration by WCUMC
045. Re-join WCUMC Choir
046. Re-join WCUMC Orchestra
047. Find at least one opportunity to "play for pay" on violin
048. Find at least one opportunity to "play for pay" on piano
049. Move great-grandmother's player piano to Texas
050. Restore great-grandfather-in-law's violin (or was it GGMIL?)

Research
I love nothing more than to research just about anything - but I do have a few goals foremost on my mind.

051. Add Gary's Fredericksen family tree information to my master family tree Added Feb. 2008

052. Gather/document sources for Carpenter family tree to allow myself and my mother to join the DAR (I know we qualify - I just haven't finished doc'ing yet)
053. Research paternal grandparents' immigration to America
054. Research names of paternal great-grandparents (how sad that I have no idea of their names - at all!)

Household
Oh boy...as new homeowners (as of 4/07) we still have lots to do!

055. Tile front entryway May 2010
056. Replace spigot in master bathtub (the swan is creepy...and dangerous!)
057. Plaster stairwell walls
058. Tile upstairs bathroomsFinished late July 2008

059. Lay hardwood in lighthouse bedroomFinished July 12, 2008

060. Lay hardwood in officeFinished June, 2008...and it's a nursery now!

061. Lay hardwood in back bedroomFinished June 2008

062. Buy/install double oven to replace current oven/microwave built-inInstalled November 2008

063. Replace trash compactor June 2010
064. Replace dishwasherInstalled November 2008

065. Replace all linoleum with C-tile June 2010
066. Add new breaker box to prevent future blowouts
067. Replace all windows In Progress
068. Eradicate all weeds in English GardenFinished 3/13/2008

069. Replant English Garden to contain year-round blooms
070. Have plans drawn for 2nd-floor gameroom/office combination
071. Have plans drawn for over-garage apartment
072. Install permanent front-lawn lighting
073. Move nursery furniture and other items from PA to TXArrived late June, 2008...see details here

074. Fill lower side yard to level with driveway
075. Expand driveway onto portion of the reclaimed side yard to equal a space twice as wide
076. Plant border hedges on remaining portion of side yard

Financial
My goodness...some of these goals cost major bank. How will we pay for it all? These goals only pertain to my input to the household salary...but do know that I support my hubby fully in his own future employment/financial/off-duty work and goals. He rocks!

077. Attain full-time salary equivalent to pre-AA pay (see #40)
078. Attain freelancing salary equivalent to full-time entry-level job pay (see #26)
079. Attain 15k lifetime sales with Pampered Chef
080. Pay off all medical debt
081. Pay off all credit card debt
082. Pay off all school loans
083. Build savings account with the equivalent of one year's full-time salary (as in both of us contribute but the savings level only has to equal one of our salaries, not both)
084. Pay for all home improvements out of pocket instead of on credit Ongoing!
085. Pay for post-grad education out of pocket instead of with student loans

Marriage and Family
Hum the theme song to Married With Children as you read this section!

086. Celebrate 2nd anniversary (May 6, 2008)Celebrated 5/6/2008

087. Celebrate 3rd anniversary (May 6, 2009) Celebrated 5/6/2009

088. Celebrate 4th anniversary (May 6, 2010) Celebrated 5/6/2010
089. Accompany hubby to spring break ('08, '09, or '10)
090. Take ACTUAL family vacation, instead of vacation to see family
091. Help Mom sell house and move to more affordable quarters (this is like 1,000,000 goals in one, really...you can't imagine the undertaking this will be)
092. Visit Florida relatives
093. Visit California relatives Does seeing them in TX or ID count?
094. Visit Washington/Idaho relatives Multiple Times
095. Visit Pennsylvania relatives Multiple Times
096. Bring niece and nephew to Texas for the summer ('08, '09 and/or '10)Our niece spent the month of July with us in 2008 - and worked her butt off helping get things done pre-baby. Love you, Julia!

097. Start a family! Born October 9, 2008!

098. Grow the started family! (2 kids by 30 has always been my desire/goal...and so the crunch is on!) Born July 19, 2010 - 2.5 months before my 30th birthday!

Health and Well-Being
Last, but most certainly not least...

099. Seek long-term treatment for joint pain Ongoing
100. Maintain control over thyroid/BP through medication and monitoring Ongoing
101. Live...Laugh...Love...and HAVE FUN! Ongoing!  And Always!

Ok...now it's your turn!

6 comments

  1. A lofty list, Tiff. Hate to break it to ya but once you have a baby, your wonder-schedule will be out the window. You can't schedule a baby in 15 min increments no matter how you try...Baby will force you to sloooow down LOL.

    Wonderful mega-list. I admire your ambition. And good job making them all attainble, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you broke that apart, Tiff. This is actually a the 1-3 years in a long range plan. Not a bad idea. Am actually considering this, but at the moment am overwhelmed. And yes, on #50 - It was my grandfather (Mom's dad) that owned the violin. That would make it your great-grandfather-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hopeful that the list doesn't seem too over-reaching. I tend to set goals that, um, yeah, I'm an optimist when it comes to setting goals. However, 101 goals over a span of 1001 days doesn't seem too terribly bad. A few on the list will accomplish pretty easily, I hope. For instance, the last 9 states I've not yet gone to: well, I work for an airline, and have a bunch more vacation time starting next year, so that shouldn't be too hard...plus visiting various friends and relatives really wraps into that. The whole helping mom sell and move and moving furniture to my house part is all wrapped up together as well. She doesn't want to sell and move, but financially she's at a point where she has to...and she just does not do things on her own, ever, so as her only kid, I imagine that I'll be spending time in '08 doing it for her...but that'll finish a bunch of goals right there. Who knows?! I'm hopeful!! :-)

    Thanks for confirming the ownership of the violin, Patti! I always get confused over whether it was grandmother or grandfather - don't know why that's my sticking point! I hate that I can't play it yet, but I think a good long weekend devoted to it will have it up and playing again. I refuse to have a musical instrument in my house that I can't play! On Chris' list is a plan to refurb the case for it...so one of these days, it'll just be beautiful and shiny all the way around!

    Oh, I definitely know that babies have their own schedule, Kelly. Their own schedule in coming into existence and definitely their own schedule while they're here. I've actually done a lot thinking about this over the past year or so and I think that the things that would minimize in my life are: 1)my involvement as a leadership trainer, 2)my involvement as a forensics judge, and 3)selling Pampered Chef. I have optimism about continuing to juggle full-time work and part-time freelancing plus a bit of fiction...with Chris and I on opposing schedules, things may just work out, similarly to how a lot of his coworkers and their spouses balance opposing schedules and more than one job with their own children. Not working is not an option, so that'll just have to fit in somewhere. After another year or so, going to a partial work schedule may be an option as well, and then I can supplement my income even more with freelancing. We'll just have to see. Purely theoretical at this point. Wishing and wanting doesn't make it so, but having a plan in mind is a fun thing to contemplate. And in the meantime...full speed ahead! :-)

    Thanks for commenting, ladies! Everyone else: hey, listen up! It's your turn! Make your own 101 in 1001 list and let me know about it here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive.
    My goal might be to organize something,
    anything - even just one thing -
    that neatly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck with your goals 1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I'm exhausted after reading your list. :) I like #101. Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete