Green Hanukkah Burns Out

(Post Transferred from my formerly stand-alone blog, Tiffany Takes On.)

A group of what are being called "environmentalist Israelis" is urging faithful Jews to burn one less candle in their menorah this year during Hanukkah.

Why?

Because by burning one less candle, each household will save the environment from 15 grams of carbon dioxide.

Oh, puhleeze.

I've had it up to my fanny and beyond with environmentalists. (Wait until I post about global warming...just wait. I have to be super wound up to even tackle that debacle, but when I'm ready...I'm just going to spew forth.)

The enviro-nuts can apparently do (new) math, because they added up 15 grams of CO2 and multiplied that by millions of Jewish households and came to the conclusion that the best thing that could happen would be breaking a centuries old Jewish tradition that is as well known as the holiday for which it is used.

I'm sorry. 15 grams from a candle? One candle saving the environment? It's too bad that Moses broke the stone tablets with the 10 Commandments, because I sure wish they were around to break over the heads of these nutballs today.

Do you have any idea how much CO2 is emitted from the exhaust system of a car - or the buses that are so famous in Jerusalem? How about how much CO2 is emitted from the factories throughout the world? Or, to "go there", how much CO2 is emitted (as comedian Ron White would gleefully ask) within a cow's flatulence?

Listen, folks. There are many ways that we can "clean up our act" to be nicer to the environment and Mother Nature. And we definitely have to start somewhere, or this tired earth will be a miserable place in the generations that follow our own.

But lighting one less candle in a menorah for Hanukkah? Go away. Far, far away. That just goes to levels that are ridiculous to comprehend.

I wonder when the first Catholic or Protestant enviro-nut will pop up to advocate lighting one less candle for Advent?

Read more here: Green Hanukkah Sparks Criticism

A special "thank you" to my husband, Christopher, for bringing this travesty to my attention so that I could write it up here at Tiffany Takes On.
(No Comments Transferred; original posting date 12/05/07, 8:21 PM.)

Post a Comment