I'm a Big Baby!

Almost a year ago, my husband got Lasik surgery done on his eyes.

This was a tremendous deal for him. The man is more skittish about having people near his eyes than I can even describe.

Oh, but let me try!

He had an eye infection a few months before his Lasik where his tear ducts basically became clogged. For treatment, he had to rub baby shampoo into his eyes to release the oils in his tear ducts, and then use eye drops. He couldn't handle the eye drop part. At all. Now...picture this.
My husband is twice my size. Big tough guy - he's a cop, in fact. But to get the eye drops in, he had to lay down on the bed and I would straddle his shoulders to try to pin them down and then pry open in eye in turn to get in a drop of the medicated liquid.

When you saw the word "straddle", you probably thought "kinky." Trust me, it wasn't!

In any case, the big baby sucked it up and saved his pennies (and got cheap financing on the rest that's almost paid off) and had his surgery done at the end of last July. And he thinks it's the best thing he's ever done.

And then there's me.

Turns out I'm an even bigger baby. Now, I've worn contacts for like 15 years. I even wore hard contacts briefly. I have NO PROBLEM putting in my contacts every morning. Doesn't freak me out at all. Makes my husband want to puke. If I go to the eye doctor, I'm okay with him manipulating my eyes.

But ever since I saw a brochure with a picture of knife-blade Lasik in it years ago, the very thought of the surgery just makes me shudder. And yes, I know that it's all laser-based now. But there used to be a knife!! Near your eye!!! That cut it!!!!

But yet, I still am trying to work myself up to taking the plunge. So in my scattered wanderings throughout the internet, I came across LasikVue. Unfortunately, they're not located here in Texas where I am (they're in the Bay Area of CA) but they had great information on their site.

I was most interested in their write up on Custom Wavefront Lasik, because the described procedure says that it not only corrects your vision to 20/20 but gives more clarity as well. Specifically, it mentions reducing halos - which is my bane in life! I've all but stopped driving after dark unless absolutely necessary because the halos I see around lights just make me feel like I'm out of control. So if there's a procedure that can make that go away, I need to give it some serious thought!

I still have to do some serious thinking before I go through with my own Lasik surgery - and my FSA monies are spoken for this year already anyways - but I think you'll be seeing me come to the decision to have this done sometime in 2009. With the way the technology is progressed, it's almost silly not to!

If any of you are located out in the Bay Area, check out these doctors and their web site!

Lasik in Walnut Creek

Post a Comment