Y-I-E-L-D

Welcome to the first Tuesday Travel Tips with Tiffany since my hiatus! For today's topic, I will actually be reverting back to a topic that I wrote (ranted?) about more than 6 months ago.

Let's discuss: the yield sign.

Obviously, my "what to do and what not to do" guide on this topic failed. Because there's still a large contingent of drivers out there who continue to ignore this most basic traffic control device. Or, perhaps, they've just not yet found my blog. Pity.

Because, really, this is all about me, I'd like to directly address some drivers I encounter daily on my drive to work.

Attention drivers on the 820 northbound service road approaching the SH 10 intersection:

YOU HAVE A YIELD SIGN.

I, a driver on 820 northbound, exiting at SH 10, DO NOT HAVE A YIELD SIGN.

THAT MEANS IT'S MY RIGHT OF WAY, NOT YOURS.

And having a big honkin' tractor trailer, or a pickup loaded down in the back with imported gardeners or construction workers, doesn't change the balance of the equation.

MINE.

I feel like a kid fighting over a toy. Except, in this case, we're fighting over lanes, and people seem to be going with the theory of who is bigger instead of who needs to watch for signs that will CLEARLY tell them to back off.

So let's discuss why people seem to have such a blockage over yield signs.

Does the triangle shape confuse them?

Is the red just too distracting or perhaps overused?

Or, really, is it a Freudian thing where they didn't learn how to share their mother's attention so now they're taking it out on me?

What do you think, readers? I yield (har har har) the floor to you!

2 comments

  1. Seems like we share like thoughts on the driving--or is it reading--abilities of some Texas drivers. I blogged traffic war stories just a couple of weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if they just think that the Yield sign doesn't apply to them. They see "Everyone but YOU must yield".

    ReplyDelete