Freelancing 101

I read a blog post somewhere in the blogosphere recently, posing the question of what qualified someone to tell others how to write or how to develop their freelancing career.

My answer to that query would be having both experience and success! And since I have both (15 years of paid writing; freelance income that equals or exceeds my full-time salary during weeks when I have the capacity to take on 20 or more hours of contract work), I thought I'd start to offer my 2 cents in an ongoing series.

Welcome to Freelancing 101.

So...you want to be a writer.

Maybe you think you're good at writing.

Maybe you believe all of those web sites that claim that ANYONE who can scratch their own a$$ can write for the internet.

Think again.

Seriously. Freelancing 101 isn't meant to discourage you, but the simple fact is that to be truly successful as a freelancer - whether writing, editing, or performing other creative services - you have to have some degree of talent.

Sure, you can crank out web content at a penny a word and if you write "prolifically," you'll have enough cash to pay your rent.

But do you really want to do that day in and day out?

Nope, didn't think so.

So with that in mind, here is your first lesson:

Get 5 blank sheets of 8.5 x 11 paper.
  1. On sheet number 1, brainstorm your talents.
  2. On sheet number 2, brainstorm everything that you think might hinder your budding freelancing business.
  3. On sheet number 3, brainstorm the areas that you need to learn more about before you get started or as you're striving to learn more.
  4. On sheet number 4, brainstorm the time you have available to freelance and what you can do to properly schedule yourself.
  5. And on sheet number 5, brainstorm the money you hope to make on a weekly basis.

When you've got all of that done, come back for Freelancing 102, when we'll put those 5 sheets together to create your business plan!

READER RESPONSE TIME:
If you are already a freelancer, what steps did you initially take to get started?

6 comments

  1. I've been writing web content for a few years. When I first started, I did not have a plan, per se. I just needed to make some money and so I started. Now, I have daily, weekly and monthly goals on how much I do. If I didn't write down my goals, I'd get off track really easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2007 til early 2008 were the best years for Freelancing (well, at least for me) until big G slashed down my PR from 4 to none.Still hoping that those good old days in paid blogging will come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Btw,thanks for sharing your thoughts re: sibling:)

    Have a lovely week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Tiff - Small world, this little blogosphere! Lovely to find you out here in the wilds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Chameleon! Long time, no "chat!" Nice to see you - I have fun maintaining this little blog and a few others! Do you blog, as well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do - nice to see you too! I keep track of most of my blogs through my page at Chameleonsdream.wordpress.com along with lots of other writing.

    ReplyDelete