Thoughts from Afar

What gets you through an especially manic day, busy mamas?

When you are at work, or away from your baby for whatever reason, do you compartmentalize? Or perhaps do you have set times that you think of the little one? Maybe your baby is always just thought away. How do you balance spending necessary energy on your non-baby duties - work, clubs, whatever - with keeping your kiddo close in your mind?

For me, it's a challenge. I tend to compartmentalize. Whatever I'm working on at the moment tends to be my single focus. So I'll go at a task at work hard core for whatever period of time - sometimes hours on end - and then suddenly stop and remember that I haven't thought about the baby in that time. And then I feel guilty. ACK!

So on this Manic Monday, I'm reminding myself that it's ok not to think of my kiddo 24/7. In fact, it's probably healthy. If I were thinking of her constantly, I'd not be giving my work it's fair due, or I'd never get anything else done.

But I'm also reminded that I need to start setting more realistic goals for what I want to accomplish when I'm not at work. After all...if work gets the lion's share of my attention during the day, kiddo needs, wants and deserves the lion's share of my attention when I'm at home. And my writing/housework/activities will still get done...but not to the exclusion of special times with my family!

Share your thoughts here about how you balance out your manic lives!

Post a Comment