Thursday Thirteen #2



Good morning, ya'll!

I'm at least posting this while it's still morning for many of you!

Yes, if you're noticed, I've been playing with a variety of stat counters. I think I've hit on one that I really like...the stats are public - check it out and let me know what you think! I've pre-loaded it with the stats from the other counters I've used, so there are no details for the first 15 or so visits.

And now...on to the daily MeMe!

Thirteen Reasons I Write

1. We'll get the unpleasant reason out of the way first: to make money! No one likes to discuss the commercialization of writing, but yet we all love when we get a paycheck. So the number one reason I write, right now, is to make a little bit of extra money to supplement my income. Yahoo for $$$!
2. To learn: a lot of my freelance ghostwriting is done on subjects where I have very little knowledge. I have learned so much in the two years I've been freelancing that it's incredible - I can now speak knowledgable on topics I would have never had a clue on before.
3. To help: whatever use my clients have for the writing or creative designs I produce for them, it is helping them in their job or their business in some way. That's incredibly fulfilling to me!
4. To inform: many of the writing I've produced under my own name is to make others aware of an event or a topic that may be relevent in their own lives. If I can add just a little value to someone else's life, I've done my job!
5. To gain exposure: I have several hundred articles produced as a ghostwriter but only a fraction of that as a credited writer - still under 100 pieces of web content under my own name. But each piece of web content that carries my own name gives me just that much more exposure. To wit: my 40 articles on Associated Content garner a total of about 1000 unique views per month. Not too shabby, considering I haven't added any new content in over two months!
6. To network: I occasionally write freelance pieces solely to have in my repertoire as a way to meet other like-minded writers, or potential clients. Writing is a very powerful networking tool!
7. To be a part of a community: I belong to two close-knit communities - one for fiction and the other for freelancing, and the support of those other writers is absolutely fundamental to my own writing!
8. To have a release: Mostly on the fictional side of my writing, putting pen to paper is a fantastic way to let go of the stresses of the "real world" and slip into another world where all that matters is the release of thoughts and ideas.
9. To tell a story: I have four current works-in-progress, and all of them have story lines that I simply feel compelled to share with others. In various stages of completion, each story continues to speak to me...and I suspect will not be silenced until each project is concluded!
10. To fill my time: Idle hands and all that...and although I have very little free time, I try to maximize what I do have in a productive way - plane rides, breaks between forensics rounds, etc. all become times to write.
11. To entice others: I want the worlds of fiction that I create to be like a Siren's song, enticing my readers to step into another world, for however brief a time. Granted, I do not write in the fantasy genre, so my other worlds are simply mirrors of our own world with fictional events and characters, but each setting is crafted to provide a break from reality and a doorway to somewhere else.
12. To fulfill goals: I dream of seeing my name on the front covered of a book one day, of walking in the front door of Borders or Barnes and Noble and seeing my latest work for sale as a New Release! or Bestseller!
13. Because I love it! That's the most important reason...and so I've saved the best for last!



I hope you all have wonderful Thursdays!

Tiffany



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



6 comments

  1. Great list! I love to write, too and there are so many reasons to do it.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Providing readers like me with an experience that takes them away from our world into one where feelings and ideas can be explored without prejudice--that's one of my reasons. Great list of reasons to write; rather comprehensive.

    Thanks for visiting my TT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do it because, well, what else would I do?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Number 13 says it all...I wish I had the faith in myself to actually not delete every attempt at a novel I've made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I write for all those reasons too, though as far as #1 is concerned, you'd never know it!

    http://agentlemansdomain.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete