Hair and Insight

I had a "day off" on Saturday to go have some kid-less time.  I used part of the time to get my hair done.  I love making conversation, so I asked the hairdresser (a student who did a SUPERB job) why she had chosen to go to beauty school.

Her answer surprised me.  She didn't cite a love of hair or a lifetime spent beautifying others.  Instead, she told me this story.

A few years ago, not long after she graduated from high school, she was speaking to a friend of hers who she considers to be a talented artist.

She told her friend that she admired his talent, but didn't feel like she had any talent of her own.

His answer was outstanding.

"Create one."

His point, she relayed to me, was that not all talent is inborn.  Some is acquired, and has to be worked at to master.  (I'd argue that some = most.)  He told her that she couldn't wait for a talent to be magically revealed, but instead needed to work to develop a talent of her own.

This young lady loves fashion and one day dreams of owning a string of stores catering to various areas of talent, such as shoes, clothes, and wedding gear.  But she realizes that the money and knowledge to be able to do that doesn't just fall from heaven.

So she went to college, where she has a year of school to finish for a business degree, and is also attending beauty school.  She wants to master the full package of fashion, and that includes both the business end and the service end.

How smart!  And how many of us sit around waiting for talent to magically drop down on us?

We can learn from the sage decisions of this young lady.  Don't wait or expect talent to just happen - work for it!

What do you think?

Post a Comment