And the Winner Is...

Any Toastmasters out there?

Just over a year ago, I joined the Toastmasters club that meets at my office. For me, it was a great opportunity. I've been a speaker all my life...between just flat out chattering, to more defined opportunities in speech and debate, drama, etc. So this was a way for me to re-engage in speaking. I love it!

This spring, I qualified to compete in the District level competitions for both Table Topics and the International Speech Contest. The competition was this weekend.

Table Topics is a competition where you are given a question and have to answer it immediately within a 1-2 minute timeframe. I was extremely tickled to win 2nd place in the District competition this weekend. Yahoo!

The international speech competition is often used for inspirational type speeches. I gave a speech related to sharing memories - how you are remembered by what you share with others. I love my speech, and I love it all the more because my dad inspired it.

Unfortunately, I didn't win, or even place in the top three at districts, but I was able to reach many people in the audience, who shared memories with me after the competition. What a neat opportunity! I didn't realize that may be an outcome...but it was so neat to experience.

Any other Toastmasters out there?

Post a Comment