Fitting Everything In

Hi, everyone!

I've been struggling to carve time out of my schedule to actually get writing done post-baby. Not just fiction, which I've always struggled to find time for, but also the freelancing that used to add significantly to my household income.

So I thought I'd open up the blog to elicit reader responses - what do YOU do to schedule yourself time to write? What all do you balance writing against? Do you have any tips or tricks to get quality writing done?

Here's a look at what I'm trying to balance right now:

  • Baby - a full time job in and of itself, especially since the hubby works a shift opposite of mine, so when I'm home with baby, I'm home alone with baby.
  • Working - full time, outside of the home, including occasional travel.
  • Household schtuff - I'm bound and determined not to use having a baby as an excuse to have a messy home. It's way harder now, but I'm sticking with it as best I can.
  • Toastmasters - I'm the club secretary this year, and am also competing in Table Topics and the International Speech Contest. Just won 1st place in my area for both and go on to the divisional competition at the end of March.

Here's what's fallen by the wayside:
  • Freelance writing - I started back 10 days postpartum, which was a huge mistake. I pulled back after 4 weeks of trying to keep up with client contracts and in the last 4 months have only written sporadically at best.
  • Fictional writing - The goal was to add 10k a month in 2009 to one of my WIPs - The Mommy Letters, which I started writing way back in November 2006. So far this year? Have added a grand total of 3k. Ick.
  • Judging Speech and Debate - I just want to get the baby a little bit older before I start leaving her elsewhere - with friends or family - for a full day so I can take on a tournament. Plus, the Friday night portions go late and I just don't feel I should be away from her at bedtime yet. Was hoping to do a Saturday-only in February but it fell through. I'm afraid that the school districts I contract with are going to stop inviting me if I don't jump in again fairly soon, although I've told some that I probably won't start again until the '09/'10 school year.
  • Pampered Chef - Haven't held a show in a year. A year! Promised clients a catalog show in late 2008 but was too overwhelmed with other stuff to get it off the ground. Mea culpa! Planning a "Hey, it's Spring!" show for later this month and hope I actually pull it off.
  • Choir/Orchestra - I haven't been active in the choir or orchestra at my church in a looooong time now and to be honest, of all the things that have gone by the wayside, that's what distresses me most. But Wednesday night practices when the baby isn't yet old enough for the church-sponsored babysitter just ain't gonna happen, since hubby is, of course, at work.
  • Leadership Development Training - I haven't taught for my volunteer organization in almost a year and a half - and I'll stop being "certified" to teach my courses at the two year mark if I haven't taught them in that time. ACK! Trying to figure this piece out.
I'm sure I'm missing some stuff. Can't remember right now. But how convenient would it be to magically clone myself so I could find a way of fitting everything back in???

Your turn, readers! What are you juggling right now? What are your magical tips for making it all fit together? What have you gotten away from doing but really miss??

6 comments

  1. I think I remember a time when I might have completed half of what filled your pre-baby days. I write, but not as often as I should. I blame it on being tired when I finally have the time to sit down at the computer. I opened a new school library in August and the first year is always tough. I rarely get home before 6 each night, which means I am currently working 10.5 hour days. My six year old grandson lives with me, and he takes a bit of time too. I participated in National Writing Project this summer and wrote more in a month than I have written in the nine months since. For me I think that is the answer--a solid group of writers who will listen, critique and encourage my writing. I don't even write in my blog as much as I would like. Maybe I'll be inspired during spring break--which is already minus one day for jury duty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...now I need to go Google the National Writing Project - I'm intrigued! Thanks for stopping by, Gayle! I'm going to put up a link to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need to get to the point that you're willing to let people babysit Baby. Until then, there's just no way to fit it all in. Also, it might be time to let a few things go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Friend.. Interesting post.. Keep up the good work..Do find time to drop by my site and post your views... Take care.. Cheers mate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Other than the baby and the Pampered Chef, you and I do about all the same things--or did! I coached a Speech and Debate Team most of my career. Never actually belonged to a Toastmasters but worked with them often to recruit members and spoke to some local clubs at times to recruit subjects for experiments. I certainly understand about the tournaments, although I have seen new mothers judging and host team members babysitting. You might want to consider that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm actually ok with baby being with a babysitter - like an Aunt Yellie?...but unfortunately, for me to get to debate tournaments, it would require someone being with her until late in the night on Fridays, and alllllll day on Saturdays. We're talking like 7 AM to late late. Unless it was swapped out with hubby, and then like 4 PM to late. I just want her a bit older first before she's with someone else for such a long time.

    Patricia - I never thought about that. The host school always has extra kids around running the tab room and the ballot tables...and I typically have decent downtime between rounds...so that's a potential fix. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete