Toddler Self-Mutilation

Here's a problem I never thought I'd be exploring as the mom of a young toddler: self-mutilation!

And I'm hoping I'm not the only mommy who is/has dealt with this!

Picture the scene: a happy little girl is playing on the floor with her favorite toy...when she suddenly lifts it off the floor and starts banging it against her head.  Next clip, a cranky little girl is sitting in a room and starts banging her head against the wall or the floor out of either anger or frustration.

What. The. Heck!?

To be honest, the concept of a baby hurting themselves purposefully is just more than my mind can fathom.

After consulting Dr. Google, I'm seeing information about rhythmic banging, or banging against something relatively harmless like crib rails.

So I'll put it out to you, readers.  Have you experienced this?  Have any explanations, or, better yet, solutions???

I can't wait to hear your ideas!

Post a Comment