Speaking Up

Sometimes, the hardest thing to do is to speak up.

Putting up information on the internet, sending emails, commenting on articles...all of those mediums can get information out, but don't rise nearly to the level of making a public statement in front of the very body you are seeking to influence.

Many of you have watched in horror over the past few months as hysterical activists have taken over the city of Fort Worth and actively set out to hijack an otherwise ordinary occurrence to use as a political agenda. Along the way, ruining a few lives or reputations wasn't even an afterthought for these individuals.

We've been so lucky to have such a supportive family and circle of friends during this time. I've heard from you with phone calls, emails, Facebook notes and more about how ridiculous this entire situation is.

But I still needed to publicly speak up.

With Kristen in tow, I visited the Fort Worth City Council meeting last night and finally got my say. It wasn't when I wanted to - I got slotted in to speak during the response time for a resolution, instead of during the citizen presentation time - and I had less time than I wanted - I used precious seconds to explain that I wasn't speaking either for or against the resolution - but I got out my thoughts.

The Council all maintained eye contact with me, my own Councilman nodded along, and Kristen wasn't the only one clapping after the bell ring to signify the end of my time. I even received kind words afterwards from several folks, including one area journalist.

All in all, I felt exhilarated to have spoken up. It might not change a damn thing...but at least I said my piece.

And yes...I'll be posting a link to the prepared speech soon...check back!

Post a Comment