Sharpening My Saw

The family and I just returned yesterday from a week-long trip to Arizona.  My in-laws live in the desert about 100 miles outside of Phoenix (but because of geographic peculiarities, still in Maricopa County) and we were delighted to be able to visit them for Easter.
Guess what the most exciting part of our visit was, to me?
No, it wasn’t the caravan of private planes that we were a part of one morning to go to breakfast.
No, it wasn’t the tons of card games we played over the course of a week.
No, it wasn’t the bizarre Kirk Cameron movie we were subjected to watched one night.
No, it wasn’t getting to pet donkeys in Oatman.  Although, that was definitely the most bizarre part of the trip!
No, it wasn’t getting to sleep in (ha! Cate has us up every morning by 6:30, thank you time zone change) or getting to bed early (double ha! bedtime followed cards, and cards lasted until late most nights).
No, it wasn’t even necessarily the downtime where I got to sit and do absolutely nothing every once in awhile.
So what was it?
It was finally taking/making the time to read several books on writing that I purchased a longlonglong time ago and never got around to cracking open.  YAY!  I sharpened my saw and learned a LOT more about expanding my freelancing opportunities as well as better structuring myself to fit in more writing as a whole.
Three books in the course of a week really isn’t that much, considering how much I read normally, but fit in around all of our vacation and family activities, it makes me feel quite accomplished!
Now, the challenge is to apply what I’ve learned!  Wish me luck!

1 comment

  1. Good for you, Tiffany! When you get the "time for writing" thing down, please pass along the keys to success. I am writing, but not the way I should be.

    ReplyDelete