Mom's House

Chris, Catherine and I just spent 10 days in PA trying to whip my mom's house into shape. We were *moderately* successful but will need to go back again to finish sometime in May or June. Until then, here's a recap of our time there, a la my Twitter updates...

  1. Happier than I can say to be ack in DFW, but wishing baby girl and I weren't sick as dogs. Doc for both of us tomorrow.
  2. Hubby didn't appreciate me singing the Rocky theme when a wrong turn brought us in view of the Philly skyline instead of the rental cars.
  3. 20 miles left to PHL...then only a couple hours to DFW. Home by nightfall and thank GOD for that!
  4. My fun day: just got burned by battery acid when one of the batteries in my pump exploded while in use. Are you KIDDING me? Ow.
  5. Baby and I are both extremely sick...but at least we're headed back to Texas this afternoon.
  6. My sanity is waning...and now all 3 of us have the flu. Time to get back to Texas! Yard sale then a chaotic Easter then we get to go home.
  7. Mom: "You can take anything you want...it'll all be yours someday, anyways." Me: "Ok. Can I have that?" Mom: "No, that's mine." OY!
  8. Getting ready for mom's yard sale tomorrow...come buy LOTS!
  9. Pa trip, day 8. Time for a "come to Jesus" mtg with mom: no one needs 6 sets of pots and pans, 3 blenders or 36 boxes of 1980s magazines.
  10. Another day drawing to a close...another couple rooms done. Countdown to Texas: 4 days.
  11. My time limit with mom is 5 days. Today is day 7. My patience has run out, and is down the street, around the corner and mooning traffic.
  12. Just put together *another* bookcase. I'm getting to be a pro!
  13. It's official...I'm sick. Argh.
  14. Mom disappeared into the kitchen 2 hours ago, muttering about cooking dinner. Two plates of leftovers just hit the table. WTH?!?!
  15. In Scranton on a Wednesday for the 1st time in 5 years and am foregoing Wing Night to continue cleaning out mom's house. Oh, the humanity!
  16. I think my mother has more kitchen crap than most restaurants. Hope we can sell a lot of it.
  17. Dude. Mom's neighbor just volunteered to buy her house, if she wants to sell. Now to make sure she doesn't screw this up!
  18. Victory! Mom agreed to let us have a yard sale for her on Saturday so I placed an ad in the paper before she could change her mind.
  19. Cleaning out mother's house is a mix of the Twilight Zone and This Is Your Life.
  20. On my laptop for the first time since Thursday night...internet MUCH faster than on the phone, but not many wifi spots around here!
  21. And so day 1 in PA comes to an end. Sanity still intact but in tons of pain after cleaning out mom's garage in COLD weather.
  22. A great big thank you to the agents and TSA folks who were super helpful at DFW. Waiting out ATC to PHL.
  23. Anyone else clean compulsively before going on a trip? My thought is "if the plane goes down, don't want anyone going in my dirty house!"

Post a Comment